Date: 1/13/18 8:36 am
Subject: Re: Garganey in Union NC???
I have invalidated the record so it is no longer searchable on eBird, but people who subscribe to corresponding eBird needs alerts or rare bird alerts will have received the checklist link in email. The link is https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ebird.org_ebird_view_checklist_S41861125&d=DwICaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=TjCQ1v8WfNOk8u60ZWBlkYYst74WT22oiKylRjPCXes&s=FCoOqzyMXE1xv4TmIDLWX1M8xgOkNLtui-7DwrF0t60&e=

I've had feedback that the bird is probably not a pure Eastern Spot-billed Duck, but a hybrid of that species with Mallard.

Kent Fiala

On 1/13/2018 11:22 AM, Brian Patteson wrote:
> How does one find this exactly? Can you post a link?
>
> I tried searching the eBird RBA for all of NC and all I found was about 130 or so reports of Common Mergansers and a slew of goldeneyes and scoters. Which brings us to another point? Is Common Merganser really even an RBA bird in NC? I think the same question could be asked for a number of species that inundate the RBA list during times of cold weather or at the peak of their migrations.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian Patteson
> Hatteras, NC
>
>> On Jan 13, 2018, at 10:44 AM, David Gardner (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>>
>> Okay - I'm guessing then that it is assumed it is an exotic escape? Yes?
>> Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jan 13, 2018, at 10:39 AM, Kent Fiala (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>>>
>>> It wasn't a Garganey, but an Eastern Spot-billed Duck.
>>>
>>> Kent Fiala

Join us on Facebook!