Date: 1/13/18 8:31 am
From: '<jaythom...>' <jaythom...> [MOB-Montana] <MOB-Montana...>
Subject: [MOB-Montana] Northern Saw-whet Owl - Billings
MOB - At first light on Thursday morning I noticed 2 dead birds under the table on my deck (both frozen solid - outside temperature 0F) - a Northern Saw-whet Owl and a partially consumed male House Finch. A bit of a mystery as the owl appears intact with only some blood and tissues on the talons that I surmise were from the House Finch. If another predator killed the owl as it was eating its prey it did not attempt to eat either the owl or the rest of the finch. There was some yellow substance on the snow around the House Finch that may indicate the owl vomited/regurgitated before it died.. I wonder if it could have choked on its meal? According to Sibley, Northern Saw-whet Owl's prey of choice is supposed to be small mammals. I took photos but as they are not very pretty I won't post them here unless asked. One picture I took looks like maybe the owl had a small head wound, but there was no fresh blood, and I can't locate the wound on further examination of the owl. The owl did not appear emaciated. (This owl would have been a life bird for me if it had been alive, as well as yard bird #129. The only owls I have observed in our yard are Great Horned Owl & Eastern Screech-Owl.) Good birding and may all your owls be living ones! Jan ThomBillings
P.S. This is the 2nd time I've tried to post about this. The first time was Thursday morning, and as it has not yet appeared, I thought I would try again. That time my title read "Dead Northern Saw-whet Owl Billings", so maybe Yahoo censored this, or maybe the monitor of this group thought it wasn't appropriate. I am sorry if I am out of line and this type of post is not permitted.
We Say GoodBye To Sally Fields
iflperfecttouch.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5a5a343798c1734372d14st02duc

Join us on Facebook!