Date: 1/13/18 8:14 am
From: Geoffrey Gardner <geoffrey323...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Invasion of Gold Finches
Here at our place in Bradford, the feeder situation has been unique. Aside
from a few Juncos and occasional visits from Chickadees, we had no birds at
our feeders from the middle of August till the first snow. After that, the
Bluejays in twos and threes were the first to show up. Then the numbers of
Juncos increased to the usual level and a few Chickadees were around from
time to time. Throughout this period there were far fewer birds around than
is typical in the woods, both up on the ridge and down in the lower places.
As snows and cold weather increased, a pair of Downy woodpeckers showed up
and the numbers of Chickadees increased but not to anything like the usual
level. The first big snowstorm brought a flock of about ten Goldfinches, a
bird we donıt often see ‹certainly not in big numbers‹ at our feeders during
the winter. This morning the sudden change of weather brought a flock of
more than twenty Goldfinches to the feeder as well as the seasonıs very
first Hairy woodpecker. Yesterday and today a single White Throated Sparrow
has been feeding on the ground under the feeders. So far this winter not a
single Purple Finch or White Breasted or Red Breasted Nuthatch, all three
constant visitors all through every winter till now. One morning last week,
a Merlin perched on a branch next to the Niger feeder and waited for a few
minutes. No other birds were around, and he left before I had time to grab
my camera. This too was a first.

Geoffrey

From: Vermont bird List-posting <vtbird...> on behalf of Pamela
Coleman <0000003fbb1e7534-dmarc-request...>
Date: Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 10:49 AM
To: Vermont bird List-posting <vtbird...>

Here in Mt Tabor a flock of 40+ goldfinches, and just as many juncos!