Date: 1/12/18 10:59 pm
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqvr...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Are Regional/County Listservs Still Relevant? [a bit long]
There are challenges. Many forums aren’t really good to be used on the fly on mobile devices in the field. I think that’s one reason email’s been core to this, although eBird shows how a good online service with increasingly nice mobile apps can do it. Whatever we’d want to do should be easy to use on a bad network on a phone and (unlike eBird) if possible allow local storage of content for those times we’re away from cell towers completely.

An option I’ve used for various things and which is kind of the current “new puppy” is Slack. It can be used mobile as easily as an email client and would be a good option. It’d take some design thought to set it up well (but been there done that) and only some tiers are free, but we can see what “always free” has done for us with Yahoo. That’s one reason I thought working with a group like Audubon California to help pull something together statewide might be a good idea, not (necessarily) to fund it but to have an organization that’d be able to coordinate and keep things running, in return for outreach and PR type stuff. Or coordinate the fund raising, or something like that.

One problem I think the lists have is lack of good coordination on who/when/how to escalate special birds from local lists to regional to state to national alert setups. If we want to look at rethinking this, I’d suggest that there be announce-only statewide and regional (north/south? Maybe four?) lists where the only postings are ones from an agreed upon set of posters; think of it like ebird reviewers being able to spread the word more widely rather than it being random.

We could even keep it in email. A friend of mine is the founder of groups.io <http://groups.io/>, which is a modern email server setup. He’s also the guy who wrote OneGroup, which was bought by Yahoo and was turned into Yahoo groups. Again, only some tiers are free, but I know he’d be willing to talk about options. Like any modern service that involves communicating, it’s actually best thought of as a web forum with really strong email capabilities rather than something like YG or Listserve. When I was actively writing these servers, I was in three efforts to define a next-gen mail server they all hit the “this is a web forum with email” point and died, and Mark (founder of Groups.IO finally went off and built one and it’s pretty good).

> On Jan 12, 2018, at 9:13 PM, Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> wrote:
>
> Of course eBird is not suitable for postings about locations, background information, and local lore. For that purpose I would love to see us switch to a proper forum (like for example birdforum.net <http://birdforum.net/>).. Imagine having threaded postings, working search functions, and the option to follow or block specific topics or people. It would be so... 2000.

Join us on Facebook!