Date: 1/12/18 9:51 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Armchair Gulling--Sauvie Is. Pellet Plant 1999 redux #1
This gull very closely resembles a woodpecker...

On Jan 12, 2018 9:36 PM, "Robert O'Brien" <baro...> wrote:

About 3 months ago I posted about my experiences back in Jan 1999
spending many early mornings at the fabulous Sauvie Island Pellet
Plant (RIP), initially looking for Slaty-backed but very soon
recognizing what an opportunity this was and then just studying gulls.

https://www.freelists.org/post/obol/Armchair-Gull-Identification

I said I would try to go through my many scanned slides and
put together an armchair summary. Well, it turned out that
I had only scanned in the 'best' ones so the rest remain to be
scanned. But I thought I'd finally, first, show the 'best' ones in a few
posts over the next month or so. My new year's resolution is to
get this PP stuff finished before 20 years have elapsed. I have
about 350 days to go.

There were several goodies but here is the best bird, I guess,
pending OBRC acceptance. This bird was present for several days.
I called him the BigGuy in my tape recorded photographic notes.
(Fortunately I transcribed them before losing the tape, 35,000 words).
One of the photos shows a size comparison (the wing tips
and bills lined up) to an adjacent Glaucous-winged or hybrid.
If the BigGuy's bill was horizontal it would extend further.
Also notice the bulbous bill tip relative to the GWGUs.
It seems to be a 3rd year bird acquiring the black back.
I tried initially to make him into a Yellow-footed Gull
(Salton Sea that I had recently visited) but in the end had
to settle for Great Black-backed. (pending OBRC of course).

I find 4 western US records, one in each of 4 states, on eBird.

GBBG Western US Records eBird:
WA Seattle 01-21-04 (photos)
Idaho 12-16-03 (no photo)
CA Salton Sea 05-01-13 (photos)
Wyoming 08-24-17 (photos)

GBBG was picked about 6th or so for the next Oregon Bird
in the recent poll.

https://www.freelists.org/post/obol/Next-Oregon-Bird-Results

Helpful suggestions, gentle corrections, and flaming attacks are
all eagerly anticipated.

Bob OBrien Carver OR (where I have considered opening my
own Pellet Plant, assuming it's still legal. Admission
will be charged, of course.).

Join us on Facebook!