Date: 1/12/18 8:31 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Sunnyvale WPCP
Folks:

This morning, 1/12/18, I birded the Sunnyvale WPCP.  The folks removing
cattails and sedges were working on the south re-circ channel so I
avoided the disturbance there and walked around the east pond.  From the
west end of the landfill I noted that most of the ducks have left the
west pond (I've seen that in some past years).  There was a male and
female HOODED MERGANSER in the Lockheed Martin ponds.  The only ducks in
greater than average numbers were Gadwall on the east pond (387).  I
counted at least five COMMON GALLINULES, all along the east re-circ
channel.  Also along that channel were at least seven WILSON'S SNIPE.
Also seven SORA were calling along the Moffett Channel or the marsh
north of the east pond.  A pair of GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES were flying
near the SMART station.  Among the Song Sparrows, I found two wintering
birds.  One was a classic dark brown /morphna /Song Sparrow with more of
the coloring of a Sooty Fox Sparrow than the other Song Sparrows.  The
second was a much whiter bird underneath but with reddish and gray on
the crown and face.

Bill Bousman
Santa Clara County records compiler

Join us on Facebook!