Date: 1/12/18 6:13 pm
From: Bill Tice <ticebill7...>
Subject: [obol] Lincoln Coast 1/12/17
My wife and I went over to Lincoln Co today in search of a few reported
birds. We first went to the North Jetty Yaquina Bay to look for and
photograph is possible, the Lapland Longspur which has been reported a
couple times. While nearing the base of the jetty we spied a young
Black-legged Kittiwake. I saw 2 birders near the base of the jetty and
more or less assumed they were there for the same reason. As soon as we
were on the base of the jetty my wife saw the longspur, which continued to
be confiding and allowed many pics.

Pics here:
http://variousoregonbirdingpiks.blogspot.com/2018/01/longspur-and-kittiwake.html

We next headed south to Ona Beach St Park where we ran into John Sullivan
and Josh Little - all of us looking for the Black and White Warbler
recently reported. After comparing notes, we understood they were the 2
birders at the jetty, but they did not see the longspur. Not having
success with the warbler at the park itself, they left to Waldport to look
for the ruff, but we remained planning on going up on the estate hill just
north of One Beach SP hoping to find a white-winged crossbill. On our way
there we did find the Black and White Warbler just south of the road into
the estates on the hill. As there were no no trespassing signs to the dirt
road angling SE, we took that to get on the rear side of the forest where
we saw the warbler. It was with a flock of kinglets, chickadees, juncos,
siskins, a creeper and yellow-rump. These were all heading south more or
less back to the boat launch area/St Park.

We walked around the hilltop/estates where were saw and heard some
red-crossbills and other birds. We had texted Josh and by the time we got
back to the St Park, where they had returned looking for the bird. They
did not find the ruff on the north side of Alsea Bay, so after lunch at a
roadside, my wife and I headed to Eckman Lake where we did not find the
ruff in that area.

If Josh and John saw the warbler or anything else of interest, they may
post.

--
Bill Tice

:
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."
George Harrison

Join us on Facebook!