Date: 1/12/18 5:57 pm
From: Derek Hill <derekthehill...>
Subject: [cobirds] possible Weld Co. Brant
COBirds,

Yesterday 11 Jan. 2018, around 9am my wife Jenny saw what may have been a
Brant in southwest Weld County along Hwy 119 just east of downtown
Longmont, west of I-25. On the north side of 119 approx where CR 5 1/2
hits it. When she came home from work she mentioned a very dark goose
mixed in with a flock of ~15-20 white-cheeked geese quite close to the
road. When I pulled up google images of Black Brant she said "that's it!"
citing the reduced/different white throat, black body and neck, with white
flash along the flanks. She is quite the astute observer especially
picking out the 'odd' birds among the more regular species. So keep an eye
out if checking goose flocks in the area.

Good birding,

Derek Hill
Milliken, CO
<kinglet32...>