Date: 1/12/18 4:00 pm
From: Barbara and Sal Salerno <bees2...> [STA_Birds] <STA_Birds-noreply...>
Subject: [STA_Birds] Costa's Hummingbird, Del Puerto Canyon, Etc.
I was planning to go up the canyon this morning when I heard of Nancy Jewett's Facebook post of having seen a Costa's Hummingbird there.  At 12:35 p.m., after having come back down canyon from a moderate morning of birding, I saw a male COSTA'S HUMMINGBIRD perched on a bare tree tobacco.  This location is 3.6 miles from the bottom of the canyon, with other tree tobacco on the north side, just before the "Owl Rock" formation.  I have some video on the bird, likely the same one that Nancy saw yesterday, on my Vimeo site.  This is likely the same bird that Nancy had seen yesterday afternoon.
It seem to me, and apparently to others as well, that individual birds from many Neotropical migrant species are overwintering in the San Joaquin Valley. This anecdotal evidence was brought up in another list-serve post during the C.B.C.s, and this phenomenon might be worth exploring more.
Sal Salerno, Modesto
P.S. On my way back from Patterson, I saw more than 2,000 "Aleutian" Cackling Geese foraging with about 250 Snow Geese in the field on the south side of Main Street.

Join us on Facebook!