Date: 1/12/18 3:54 pm
From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] White-tailed Kite and Couch's Kingbird in Calcasieu Parish 1/11/18
Haven't been to the Cameron area since the beginning of the year and made a pass that way from the Alexandria area yesterday. Really didn't know where to look for the Harris's Hawk and missed it at Mount Trashmore (Jeff Davis Solid Waste Facility) but did manage a couple of special birds.

Going south from Iowa, LA on Harris Mott Road, I got to the intersection of Harris Road where Harris Mott Road becomes Fruge Road and saw a hawk with a very white breast in the SW corner of the intersection. Not being a raptor expert, I solicited other opinions and the bird was identified as a White-tailed Hawk. In checking my copy of "The Crossley Guide: Raptors", it's clear the bird is a third year bird.

SO, how many White-tailed Hawks are in Louisiana? An interesting question.

Continuing southward, I got to Rossignol Road and decided to see if I could find the Couch's Kingbird. Played the song and up piped the bird. Assuming it's the same one that has been there for the past two years, it's the first time in about 6 tries I've managed to "tic" it!

Images of both birds are available in the two ebird links.

Jay Huner