Date: 1/12/18 3:32 pm
From: Lois Goldfrank <loisg...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Odd Surf Scoter
This morning at the Natural Bridges overlook, Stephanie Martin and I saw what is probably the same odd Surf Scoter seen by Kent Johnson at the end of December off Wilder. Ours, like his, looked like a normal Surf Scoter from the right side. But from the left it had a white wing patch making us think at first glimpse of a different scoter…no such luck, though this one is still of some interest. The patch is larger than a White-winged’s would be and is not confined to the speculum. In the end we could see a second white patch on the back of the head as well and lack of white under the eye, clinching the Surf Scoter i.d..

Otherwise things were pretty normal, the only slightly out of place bird was a Barn Swallow.

Lois Goldfrank, Stephanie Martin