Date: 1/12/18 11:24 am
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: ebird throws out the baby with the bath water...
Dave & All,

Great Gray Owl is not necessarily "very out of place" in this location.
This is the second report in 4 years, as I noted in another message that
passed this one in the wires.

The habitat in this neighborhood is very similar to a couple of
locations in Douglas Co. and Lane Co. where this species has been found
during nesting season (confirmed as nesting in the case of Lane Co.).

The phenomenon of GGOWs nesting in oak-madrone woodlands with mixed
conifers at lower elevations west of the Pacific Crest was documented in
northern California about a decade ago, and since then in several places
in Oregon. I'm sure Harry Fuller will have more information on this
topic.

I've suggested to local birders that this should be regarded as a
potential nesting situation, and observations should be conveyed
(discretely) to people who are involved in monitoring oak habitat
restoration on the adjoining county property.

Joel

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis