Date: 1/12/18 7:56 am
From: David Boltz via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Greater White-fronted Geese at Lake Frederick & Loggerhead Shrike at Double Tollgate (Clarke Co.)
The GWF Geese are still present this morning but for the most part are intermingled on the ice with the Canada’s. Many of yesterday’s duck species are gone, but today there is a single male Ring-necked Duck.

Dave Boltz

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 11, 2018, at 4:45 PM, <david.boltz4...> wrote:

13 Greater White-fronted Geese (previously reported) came and went several times today and were all sitting on the ice at Lake Frederick (Frederick County) at 3:45 this afternoon when I last checked. Also present were 3 Cackling Geese, several hundred Canada Geese, many Mallards, 7 Black Ducks, 4 Redheads, Buffleheads, Northern Shovelers, Gadwalls, 4 Hooded Mergansers, and 1 Red-breasted Merganser. More areas of open water opened up today and so increased the waterfowl. Tomorrow’s warm temperatures and rain should prove interesting.

This afternoon I looked for the Loggerhead Shrike on Featherbed Road near Double Tollgate in Clark County. It was actively hunting and posting on fence posts as I pulled up. Location is .25 mile south of 340 on Featherbed Road (Rt. 644), near the mud puddle pond and along the perpendicular fence line around the Cedar tree in the field.

Dave Boltz

Sent from my iPhone