Date: 1/12/18 7:54 am
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: ebird throws out the baby with the bath water...
Paul,

I agree with your approach as described below and the baseline philosophy behind it. I like sharing information about rare birds, the overall experience of going to see them and helping others see them. Most of the experiences are overwhelmingly positive with good behavior from the birding masses. That said, each case must be evaluated for its potential risk/reward and not all of us will assess them the same. However folks choose to share information or not do so is fine with me.

Dave Irons

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 12, 2018, at 5:22 AM, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...><mailto:<paultsullivan...>> wrote:
Let me try to clarify my thinking on this issue of sharing information about a rare bird.

If there is any question of the rights of human neighbors/hosts of the bird, then homeowners privacy and requests for no visitors (no trespassing signs) MUST be honored. Period.

Barring that…
Do we censor information at the source, assuming that people can’t be trusted.
- or-
Do we believe that sharing information about birds, educating bird enthusiasts and the general public is a good thing. Do we share information, put out appropriate warnings, provide guidance on how to approach the bird, and educate people about where it came from, how neat it is to see, etc.

I like the latter approach. I could get a lot of detailed information about an exotic species from reading books and online sources, but seeing a real, living specimen is a whole ‘nother experience.

Paul Sullivan