Date: 1/12/18 7:25 am
From: Dan Smith <dan...>
Subject: [texbirds] Interesting bird behavior
All,
My interest in bird behavior and intelligence keeps increasing, especially as I’m getting questions about it as Travis Audubon’s Bird Nerd for a few months each year. While this is not about Texas birds, I think the behavior, use of fire by raptors in exposing prey, is extremely interesting. Three species of Australian raptors, 2 kites and a falcon, have been observed carrying burning small branches and grasses to new locations and starting additional fires to flush potential prey. Yet another instance of H. sapiens not being the only species to use it as a tool.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/australian-raptors-start-fires-to-flush-out-prey <https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/australian-raptors-start-fires-to-flush-out-prey>

Dan Smith
<dan...> <mailto:<dan...>
512-451-2632
http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com <http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com/>

"Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.” Thomas Jefferson, 1814.

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!