Date: 1/11/18 8:48 pm
From: 'Mark Peterson' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Kit Carson county --- SMITH'S LONGSPUR, 1/11/2018

COBirders,

I decided to look for longspurs today out by Burlington as there was a just
enough snow last night to cover the ground. These birds are much easier to
find after snows as they tend to come to the road or move to exposed areas
in ag fields. The SMITH'S LONGSPUR was between County Roads N and M along
County Road 52. It was with a relatively small flock of LAPLAND LONGSPURs,
HORNED LARKs, and a single AMERICAN TREE SPARROW (maybe a little
lonely???). The small flock moved north a ways before disappearing. Not
to be too discouraging but I think relocating the bird could be very
difficult. It very well may still be in the area but most of the snow had
melted by midday and birds were no longer hanging out on or near the
roads. They had moved out into the fields and what was a small flock early
in the day was much larger when I stopped by on my way back to Burlington.

Here are a couple of very poor quality photos.

-----
Mark Peterson
Colorado Springs