Date: 1/11/18 8:08 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] La Honda Creek OSP
Folks:

This morning, 1/11/17, Billie and took a hike at the La Honda Creek OSP
off Sears Ranch Road in La Honda.  Within the first 100 m., we saw a
VESPER SPARROW and a Savannah fly to the fence next to the trail.
Farther along the trail we ran into Donna Pomeroy and Leslie Flint.
They told us that they had seen three Vespers in the parking lot.
Later, on our return, we saw Malia and Chris and they were watching
three Vespers along the trail not far from where I had seen just one.
The Vespers are the most cooperative that I have ever seen.  Also along
the trail were a number of LARK SPARROWS, we had two, but I think Malia
and Chris had more.  At the first major corner on the trail, we saw a
LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE, always a neat find.  All along this ranch road in the
grasslands we saw and heard Western Meadowlarks, apparently singing on
territory (no flocks).

In Santa Clara County, we don't see Vespers every year and most are seen
during their fall movement.  I don't recall how often we've had more
than one bird at a time.  It's quite a treat.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park

Posted by: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>

<*> Your email settings: