Date: 1/11/18 7:09 pm
From: John Arvin <jcarvin43...>
Subject: [texbirds] Far Southwest Austin
Early yesterday evening (Wed, Jan. 10th) just after dark on the warmest
evening we have had since roughly the Christmas period, I was treated to
about two minutes of songs from a Common Pauraque. I am not sure that a
Travis County record exists for this species. I know that Brush Freeman
has had singing birds around Utley in western Bastrop County.This is about
25 miles east of my location on Circle Drive off of Hwy. 290. There are
also records around Uvalde and Del Rio but as far as I know the present
report would be the most northerly Pauraque location in the state. Of
course this is an undocumented report. I was unable to get my recording
equipment ready before the bird fell silent.The species (along with 40 or
so other other species) has been expanding northward for the last 4 or 5
decades.
I think I heard the bird again just before daylight this morning but it was
quite distant so I am not certain about today. In the same general area I
had a fly-over Zone-tailed Hawk today the 11th about 11:00 am.This is
another species that has expanded its Texas range dramatically recently

jca

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!