Date: 1/11/18 6:52 pm
From: Jenn Rader <jennrader34...>
Subject: SE KS Feeder Birds at Schermerhorn Park, CK Co. 1-11-18
A good chilly and breezy evening to you all from the SE corner of the state.

We started the day at 55F this morning, getting to 58F before it quickly
dropped at about 11:30am. As I type, it's now 16F.
This crazy weather blew in a couple of not so common birds to the feeders
at the Southeast KS Nature Center. My part-timer and I had a single
Harris's Sparrow hang out all day. We also had a female Purple Finch come
to the platform feeder. Several White-throated Sparrows decided to come
dine at the feeders instead of forage out in the park. They've been more
absent around our feeding station this winter than in years past.
I also saw an immature Bald Eagle soaring along the creek. It looked like a
1st year bird.
I'm hoping the next bird will be a Fox Sparrow. We will get one up to the
bird watching area at the center during bad weather on occasion. Most
likely do to the pump we have in the pond to try and keep a portion of it
open when the temperatures stay sub-twenty degrees for several days.

The rest of our list and a couple of crummy photos can be seen here:

Stay warm, and happy January birding.

Jenn Rader
Galena, KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html