Date: 1/11/18 6:15 pm
From: Candace H <candace69001...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Rough-Legged Hawks, Hayden Prairie - Howard County
After I finished up with my part of the Bremer County CBC (my team's best
birds: 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch in Denver, IA & 4 Am. Kestrals), I headed up
to Howard County to look for owls, arriving about 3 p.m. Unfortunately, I
missed finding a Snowy, despite driving many roads till 4:40 p.m. (there
were 2 other cars looking to). However, when the light was good, I did find
a couple birds that made the trip worth it:

On Hayden Prairie there was a Northern Harrier (female) and two gorgeous
Rough-legged Hawks, (one was dark morph). Really stunning RLHA's.the dark
morph hovered for a moment or two, giving good looks at the underside of his
wings.

A heavily mottled, dark Juvenile Bald Eagle also flew over 50th, west of
Jade. No raptors were hanging around the pheasant farm on 70th, west of
Jade, nor did I see the GHOW that Ryan reported in the conifers. But, the
Rough-leggeds were worth the trip.they remind me of the west, where we see a
lot of them in the winter.

I'm looking forward to the Waterloo/Cedar Falls CBC on Sunday.

Candace Havely

Waterloo

Black Hawk County