Date: 1/11/18 4:13 pm
From: 'David Povey' <dpovey...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] So..San Diego Bay, Tri-colored Heron, Black Scoters, and Nazca Booby
I did a bit of hop scotching around south bay this morning. The following
birds were seen, and I missed on the Long-tailed Duck again.

The Tri-colored Heron was in the Biological study area. The bird was not
visible from the parking lot, only seen when I walk out on the dike and
turned back towards the car. The bird in the salt mash vegetation a very
short distance north of the dike.

Two male Black Scoters were seen from Grand Caribe. Those separate from
nearby Surf Scoters. They were about 200 -250 yards out and roughly on a
line with the Chula Vista Nature Center across the bay, ( sorry the name has
changed , and I don't recall the new name).

The Nazca Booby was on one of its usual 5 mph buoys, seen from Loew's
Coronado Resort. A quick scan turned up no other boobies.

As Paula Theobald mentioned we did see the Red-throated Pipit at Berry Park
about 10:30 a.m. it seemed to be more closely associated with Savannah
Sparrows along the fence than the few American Pipits out in the lawn area.

Dave Povey

Dulzura

Join us on Facebook!