Date: 1/11/18 4:05 pm
Subject: Beaverdam Reservoir, NC, still with decent waterfowl numbers
I stopped by Beaverdam Reservoir north of Raleigh late this afternoon. I
was expecting things to have mostly dispersed by now, but not so! The lake
now has maybe 25-30% open water, and there are still 300 or more ducks
visible from the picnic area. What completely surprised me, after several
days of temps reaching 60+ degrees, was SEVEN Common Mergansers, including
three males! And, the male and female Common Goldeneyes were still there.
I saw more Greater Scaups than on Monday, maybe at least 10. I can't swear
that some more of them have arrived (though some new Common Mergs
definitely have arrived), but most of the scaup seemed to be Greaters.
Here is my eBird list of waterbirds:

Mallard 4
Greater Scaup 10
Lesser Scaup 5
Greater/Lesser Scaup 5
Bufflehead 25
Common Goldeneye 2 Male and female, continuing. Female was the closest
duck to the observation point!
Hooded Merganser 225
Common Merganser 7 Three males, together (in same scope view), and
four females. Continuing, though a few males have arrived over the past few
days.
Pied-billed Grebe 10
Double-crested Cormorant 6
Great Blue Heron 5