Date: 1/11/18 1:07 pm
From: <marion_farber...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Almaden specialties
I found the Phainopepla this morning at Guadalupe Oak Grove Park at the Vargas Drive entrance, around 10:30 am, in the oak tree to the right just inside the gate. It flew across the street to the trees in the yard at 1261 Vargas Drive, chasing some other bird. While searching for the Phainopepla, I saw three healthy-looking coyotes trot along the ridge inside the park.

Around 11am, I found the Red-naped Sapsucker almost immediately in the pepper trees at the far south entrance to Almaden Lake Park on Winfield. As soon as I walked up, I heard "tap-tap-tap", and there it was, working on the sap wells.

Then I went over to T. J. Martin Park at 12:30 pm, and after a few minutes, found the flock of Chipping Sparrows, working their way along the west side of Burchell Avenue.

Join us on Facebook!