Date: 1/11/18 11:38 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Deer Grove East F.P. Thursday 1-11-18 (Local Interest Only)
Hello Bird People,

Some special birds have been reported from here recently on Ebird
including a Pileated Woodpecker seen & photographed by Jeff A & Lisa M
a few days ago. But I found none of their better birds today.
In fact I NEVER find any of the rare stuff others report from here
although not for a lack of trying.
I did enjoy the walk with the temps in the mid 50's although a little
less wind & rain would have helped. I mainly covered the pond/marsh
area just north of the bike path & the larger trees north of that. I
did check the old Owl area from many years ago without success.
However, there are so many groves of trees that without knowing where
to concentrate your efforts it's just blind luck if you locate
anything special. As I had no idea where the Pileated was seen all I
could do was look & listen & hope for the best which, as usual with
this woodpecker, was not good enough. (Should any of the birders who
have seen the Pileated here recently feel like giving me a location to
check I'd be grateful.)

No shortage of woodpeckers though with RED HEADED (2), Red Bellied
(5), Downy (1) & Hairy (1) all being found. Expected species included
Blue Jays, one Crow, Chickadees, W.B. Nuthatches, a bunch of
Starlings, Am. Tree Sparrow, Juncos & Goldfinches all showing
themselves. Six Mallards were flying around without landing but with
the rain no raptors were flying.

So not much seen today but it was like a Spring day which we may not
see again for a while & it was fun exploring parts of this place I had
not been to for a long time.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the one well seen adult Red Headed Woodpecker.
Runner-Up (if there is one) to the male Hairy Woodpecker which made it
very difficult for me to actually see it.

Al Stokie
In NW Cook County enjoying the warm temps but not much else

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: