Date: 1/11/18 10:43 am
From: Herbert Larner via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Lapland Longspur in Augusta County
Hello all

After work last night I did a little birding in & around Augusta County this morning . While at the Quarry pond in Fishersville I ran into John Pancake & we birded together for a while . At the Quarry among the 450+ Canada's were 20 GWF Geese , 1 Cackling Goose , Gadwall , Redhead , Ruddy , Mallard & Coot . Next we dropped by the pond at the intersection of Rt 608 & 796 ( Long Meadow Rd & Kiddsville Rd ) There were a few Mallard , Gadwall & Hooded Merganser . We moved on to the ponds on Rt 254 in Waynesboro & most of the Canada's along with the Snow Goose were in a corn field about half a mile to the west on Rt 254 . At the ponds were the tagged Trumpeter Swan , Am. Wigeon , Mallard & Pintail . I left John in that area & went home to take a nap & change out of the work clothes . After a short nap I travelled to Swoope where I found Red - winged Blackbird , Field Sparrow , Song , WT & WC Sparrow at Smith's pond along with the two Bald Eagles & the female was carrying grass
to the nest site . Leaving there I went to the area where Horned Lark were found on the first of Jan. . The area is on the end of Rt 708 where the open fields where soy bean was grown last year . Here I found about 200+ Horned Lark with one Lapland Longspur mixed in . The field is the one just below the white house on the left & just before the intersection of Rt 708 & 707 . Follow signs for the Boy Scout Camp & look for the farm with Silos & a pond in the back . A N. harrier spooked the Larks before I could finish looking thru them .

Allen Larner
Staunton