Date: 1/11/18 8:57 am
From: Casey Rucker <caseydryfork...>
Subject: Canaan Christmas Bird Count 1/3/18 (Tucker)
Hi, all,

Thirteen intrepid birders participated in our Canaan Valley Christmas Bird
Count on January 3. Perhaps the most interesting feature: a temperature
range from 21 below zero to 29 above!

Highlights of the count were Joe Hildreth's discovery of a Northern Shrike
and a Short-eared Owl, Ross Brittain's 4-owl morning including Northern
Saw-whet, and one and likely another Golden Eagle observed by Ross Brittain
and Jim and Bev Triplett. Numbers were generally within the average range,
although we had many misses including Cedar Waxwing and Purple Finch.

Total number of species: 48, plus 3 count week birds: Brown Creeper (thanks
to Ken and Julie Dzaack), Eastern Towhee (thanks to Bev and Jim Triplett),
and Yellow-rumped Warbler (thanks to Mimi Kibler). Total number of
individuals: 1,478.

Here's what we found:

American Black Duck 7

Mallard 43

Northern Pintail 1

Hooded Merganser 11 - new record

Rock Pigeon 72

Mourning Dove 149 - new record

Wilson's Snipe 2

Red-shouldered Hawk 1

Red-tailed Hawk 5

Golden Eagle 1 or 2

Eastern Screech-Owl 2

Great Horned Owl 2

Barred Owl 1

Short-eared Owl 1 - tied for highest

Northern Saw-whet Owl 1

Belted Kingfisher 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker 7

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2

Downy Woodpecker 18

Hairy Woodpecker 13

Northern Flicker 4

Pileated Woodpecker 3

Northern Shrike 1 - tied for highest

Blue Jay 87

American Crow 120

Common Raven 53

Black-capped Chickadee 137

Tufted Titmouse 61

Red-breasted Nuthatch 16

White-breasted Nuthatch 28

Brown Creeper - cw

Carolina Wren 16

Golden-crowned Kinglet 5

Eastern Bluebird 4

European Starling 178

House Sparrow 77

House Finch 32

Pine Siskin 27

American Goldfinch 15

Eastern Towhee - cw

American Tree Sparrow 2

Song Sparrow 18

Swamp Sparrow 1 - tied for highest

White-crowned Sparrow 1

White-throated Sparrow 2

Dark-eyed Junco 211

Red-winged Blackbird 1

Common Grackle 2

Brown-headed Cowbird 2

Northern Cardinal 31.

Many thanks to all who participated, and to those who were unable to make it
due to the rescheduling!

Good birding,

Casey Rucker

Dry Fork, WV