Date: 1/11/18 7:13 am
Subject: Re: northernmost Ruby-throateds
I will be interested in your thoughts on this given your powers of observation and your many years living on the coast.

Despite the comments to my post, I remain convinced feeders have had a major influence on wintering ruby throats. To what degree is the question when weighed against climate change and other factors. Would make a really good research project!

Merrill

J. Merrill Lynch
Conservation Biologist
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga County, NC
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 11, 2018, at 8:39 AM, John Fussell <jofuss...> wrote:
>
> In the wake of the rain/sleet/snow and sharp cold spell, I would be interested in knowing where the northernmost Ruby-throated Hummers in the state are now.
>
> Kelly Davis at Mattamuskeet has two, as does Ann Maddock at Cape Hatteras. Here in the Morehead-Beaufort area there are a few birds, although not as many as before the bad weather.
>
> Are there any other Ruby-throateds north of Morehead-Beaufort, other than the ones cited above?
>
> Have numbers also decreased in the Wilmington area?
>
> Just curious.
>
> I also have some comments about whether or not feeders keep hummingbirds from migrating south; I'll get around to posting those later.
>
> John Fussell
> Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!