Date: 1/11/18 6:36 am
From: Jud Johnston <rivendell...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Slow Waterfowl Day at Waterloo
What with all the waterfowl rarities popping up in North Alabama and
Tennessee this season, Sylvia and I slipped over to Waterloo yesterday
before the rain to see whether there might be something interesting
lingering there. It was 45 degrees with a strong SSE wind, which must
have inspired most of the ducks to fly elsewhere, if they were here in
the first place. Very low water in Second Creek. There were a few
dozen mallards and hooded mergansers, about 30 ring-necked ducks, and
five goldeneye. No loons, no horned grebes, and no scoters. Even coot
and pied-billed grebe numbers were low. We did flush a bald eagle from
a perch about 30 feet over the road on LC1. Estimated 90 white pelicans
at their usual roosting place across the river from the town observation
point.

Good birding,

Jud Johnston

Waynesboro, TN