Date: 1/10/18 6:22 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Huntington Beach Tropical Parula update - part 1
Thanks for your assistance with this, Tom. I just want to clarify one
detail in case there is any confusion. There is a well-vegetated apartment
complex near Yorktown and Golden West that was once a choice birding
destination until receiving the "Orange County treatment" years ago at the
hands of arboreal artisans with chain saws. The Tropical Parula is *not* in
the complex at Yorktown and Golden State. I expect the correct location
will be inserted in the ebird records once this bird has departed.

Jim Pike
HB

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 8:59 AM, Tom Benson <Thomasabenson...>
[OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> wrote:

> Hello birders,
>
> The managers of the apartment complex have graciously allowed very limited
> access to their property for organized groups of birders to look for the
> parula. Ryan Winkleman will be sending out more details on that shortly.
> One of the conditions of this access is that the specific location/address
> of the apartment complex not be publicized. To that end, we encourage
> observers of the bird (past and future) to use the following guidelines
> when sharing photos or entering eBird checklists.
>
> 1. If you post photos on photo-sharing or social media websites (Flickr,
> Facebook, etc.), ensure that you remove any location metadata before
> posting photos on these sites. Many cameras today record the exact lat/long
> where the photo was taken and embed that information in the image file. If
> you're not sure if your camera does that, or you don't know how to remove
> the location metadata, please refrain from sharing photos on these sites.
>
> 2. If you enter a checklist for eBird, do not enter it using the mobile
> app and do not use a personal location. Wait until you get home, enter it
> on your computer, and use the "stakeout Tropical Parula--Huntington Beach
> 2018" hotspot. It is located near the intersection of Goldenwest and
> Yorktown (it was just created, so may not show up until tomorrow; please be
> patient). Since eBird strips the metadata from image files before
> displaying them on checklists or the Macaulay Library, it is not necessary
> to remove location metadata before uploading photos to eBird.
>
> Thank you for your cooperation.
>
> Tom Benson
> San Bernardino, CA
> (and eBird reviewer for Orange County)