Date: 1/10/18 3:19 pm
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Re: Orange County Tropical Parula trips
Birders,

Response to the Tropical Parula trips has been overwhelming and we have far
exceeded our allowable trip capacity. Please do not send any more emails at
this time. If you did not get to send an email to request a spot for this
weekend, you will hopefully be able to try again next weekend. We will
provide an update probably around mid-week again when we know if the
property will allow more trips next weekend, and if so, "the request line"
will be opened again.

We will send out emails this evening or tomorrow to those who have spots
reserved. We will also send out emails to those who do not have spots
reserved but will be placed on a wait list. If additional trips are opened
or there are cancellations, people will be contacted from the wait list. If
you don't make it this time, please understand the extraordinary situation
that we are in that birders are being allowed to come in to begin with, and
please wait to hear if there will be more opportunities in the future.

Even though everybody knows it, I feel I cannot stress enough and so will
continue to do so that if you have been told where this bird is and you are
not part of one of these groups, please do not jeopardize future access by
going on your own. The last thing I want to have to do is say that future
access has been shut down because birders were caught without permission on
the property.

Thanks for your understanding, and we hope to be able to provide more
opportunities next week, although this will of course be up to the property
and its willingness to continue to accommodate people.

Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:39 AM, Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
wrote:

> Birders,
>
> Access to see the Tropical Parula in Huntington Beach has been granted on
> a limited basis. The property manager would like to take access one weekend
> at a time and at this time it will only be on weekends. Future access will
> likely depend on behavior of the birders and tolerance by the residents.
>
> The first round of visits will be this weekend (in a few days). If you are
> interested in trying for the parula, please send an email to
> <OCTRPA...> (OCTRPA at gmail dot com). Please do NOT reply directly
> to this post or email me personally. Please include in your email if you
> are available Saturday, Sunday, or both. Flexibility will obviously be a
> bonus as the specific date and time of each trip will be based on the
> details, including the specific meeting time and location, until we run out
> of trip capacity; I don't expect that it will take long to fill up the
> available slots. Because of the sensitivity of the situation and the
> guidelines that have been currently worked out with the property, we will
> not be posting any of these details online.
>
> Again, if you know where the bird is, please do not enter the property
> unless you are part of these groups. Several local SoCal birders worked
> very hard to make this happen and we do not want it to end prematurely
> because somebody decided to not play by the rules and sneak in.
>
> Please also refer to Tom Benson's post this morning regarding how to deal
> with this bird in eBird and on photo-sharing websites:
> conversations/messages/12454. All it takes is one person to end access
> for everybody. *Do not be that person.*
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ryan Winkleman, Rancho Santa Margarita
> Jeff Bray, Irvine