Date: 1/10/18 1:47 pm
From: Adam Dudley <adam.dudley...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Coastal birding 1/10 Geese and a swamp sparrow
Hi everyone, with all the great reports from the last few days, this morning I headed out to do some coastal birding before work. I started out at dawn looking for the goose flock reported by Alvaro, Malia and Chris. Since there was no sign of any geese at the Johnston House I continued South, and managed to see the flock on the pond at Cowell-Purisima trail that has been there for a while. This flock was only visible with a scope from a particular angle along the road. As reported before, it had about 35 CACKLING GEESE, 4 ROSS'S GEESE and an IMM. SNOW GOOSE. An amazing mix!

I continued South to the Aña Nuevo overlook on Rt1 just North of the county border. Here, the continuing male HARLEQUIN DUCK was associating with a large group of surf scoter. Heading back North, I stopped to check out the willows and weedy areas around the Cascade Ranch Brussels sprout patch. I was happy to see a SWAMP SPARROW associating with large numbers of white-crowned and golden-crowned sparrows here.

Good birding,

Adam

Join us on Facebook!