Date: 1/10/18 1:03 pm
Subject: Waterfowl turnover - Lake Crabtree, Raleigh NC
Stopped briefly at the above this afternoon and was surprised at how much turnover there was since my last visit 2 days ago. The lake still remains mostly ice-covered, but larger openings are working their way across the ice. I hypothesized that as melt occurred, ducks would gradually leave the lake, but instead, there appears to be new birds coming in, while others have indeed left.

Today 2 drake Common Mergansers accompanied three hens. The other day no drakes were noted. Today featured Green-winged Teal, numbers of Ring-necked Ducks, and Wood Ducks, which were not noted on the earlier visit. The number of Canvasback has increased a bit as well. Numbers of Hooded Merganser are much lower, but still substantial. The flock of Greater and Lesser Scaup seems to be about the same. Lots of gulls working the newly open water, presumably feeding on stunned/dead fishies. The scaup are staying happy gulping down shellfish, as they are apt to do.

So keep an eye on your favorite spot, the warmer weather does not mean the duck bonanza is over.

On the way back to the car I stopped suddenly for what appeared at first blush to be a mouse walking across the sidewalk, but it turned out to be a Golden-crowned Kinglet walking by. Not where I expect to see those!

Steve Shultz
Apex, NC

Join us on Facebook!