Date: 1/10/18 12:59 pm
From: <keith_ineg...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Loggerhead Shrike, Johnston House in Half Moon Bay, 1/10
This morning I spent some time at the Johnston House looking for the mixed flock of geese reported yesterday. I saw the Canada Geese (32) fly in at about 08:15, but by nearly 10:00, these were still the only goose species on the ground in the plowed field west of Johnston House and just north of Cameron's.

A LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE was sitting on the wires along the gravel road and directly in front of (west side) Johnston House. It was seen easily (4 different occasions) in this location during the 90 minutes or so that I was there poking around. I've attached the eBird link with images.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41795018 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41795018

I also was surprised to hear a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER in the field uphill (east) of the cypress trees. I was looking for quail (failed) while strolling the grassy area south of Johnston House and along the row of cypress trees. I made my way east and up the hill and was eventually able to find the gnatcatcher in the coyote bushes up there. Images are in the checklist.

Good luck.

Keith Gress
El Granada

Join us on Facebook!