Date: 1/10/18 11:02 am
From: <mcvetas...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Redpolls in Evanston
In November, Pine Siskins were feasting on the alder trees at Northwestern University in Evanston, adjacent to the south parking lot off Clark St. Despite looking several times, I had yet to encounter Common Redpolls there though I know others have had them recently. This morning, I ran into Fran and we estimated 40 Common Redpolls often coming to the ground to feed.

Just now 13 Common Redpolls stopped briefly in my yard for a snack in the birch tree. This is my first yard record since November 2012.

I have seen other reports of Redpolls showing up in yards, recently, as well as the likely places like Chicago Botanic Gardens, Park #566 in Chicago, Wolf Lake, etc., where they have been for one or more months. Keep an eye out.

Finally, a Common Goldeneye x Hooded Merganser hybrid continues on the North Shore Channel near Oakton Ave. in Skokie. It has returned to this spot 3 of the last 4 winters.

Matthew Cvetas
Evanston, IL

Join us on Facebook!