Date: 1/10/18 10:14 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Bird-Of-The-Month Awards For 2017 (No Current Sightings) 1-10-18
Hello Bird People,

Time for my list of what I consider to be the best birds I saw in 2017
by month. I did such a list last year & others came back with their
own choices so perhaps others will do the same this year as there were
other birds found in 2017 which would have placed on my list had I
seen them.
To make it on my list I must have seen the bird not just heard it.
Here's my list for 2017:

January

B-O-T-M to the wintering Harris's Sparrow at Crabtree & Runner-Up to a Snowy Owl

February

B-O-T-M is a tie between the western Illinois Mt. Bluebird & the
Golden Eagles reported by Colin.

March

B-O-T-M to the Arcola Cinnamon Teal & Runner-Up to two Northern Shrikes

April

B-O-T-M again to a Mt. Bluebird this one at Fermi Lab & Runner-Up to
the regular Kane Co Swainson's Hawk.

May

B-O-T-M to the Lake Co adult Yellow Crowned Night Heron & Runner-Up to
the Red Necked Grebe at Rock Cut St Pk.

June

B-O-T-M to the southern Illinois Least Terns as they were the 1st ones
I'd seen in over 10 years.
Runner-Up is a tie between the regular Painted Bunted & the Lake Co
Tri-Colored Heron.

July

B-O-T-M to the Kane Co White Winged Dove by the sod fields cemetery feeders &
Runner-Up to the early arriving Globe Tracks Hudsonian Godwit.

August

B-O-T-M to the 2 Whimbrels in Lake Co which I had missed for a few years before.
Runners-Up to the Cattle Egrets seen on the eclipse trip & 2 local
Piping Plovers.

September

B-O-T-M to the flock of White Faced Ibis at Glacial Park & Runners-Up
to 1 Eared Grebe &
2 Western Grebes.

October

B-O-T-M to the Kane Co feeder Rufous Hummingbird & Runners-Up to a
White Faced Ibis & a Cattle Egret both seen in Cook Co where they are
seldom seen.

November

B-O-T-M to the Waukegan Red Phalarope & Runners-Up to the CBG Hoary
Redpoll which was as white as ever I've seen one & the Steelworkers
Park Black Legged Kittiwake who stayed for many to see.

December

B-O-T-M to the Lost Mounds Townsend's Solitaire & Runner-Up to the
hard to see Spotted Towhee at Aurora West F.P.

As to picking a Bird-Of-The-Year I keep changing my mind but perhaps
I'll go with the Least Terns not because they were the most rare, far
from it, but as they they are cool little birds & it had been a very
long time since I'd been able to enjoy the sight of them. Just my
opinion but it is my list.
Perhaps others will give their list & opinions? If so please post for
all to see.

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: