Date: 1/10/18 10:13 am
From: <rpatton...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla misc 1-10-18
Went by La Jolla Cove expecting gaggle of birders to be sea-watching post-storm but guess anyone else had already come & gone. Surprisingly low numbers of birds given the wind & continuing squall line to the NW, with only a few loons seen & all Pacific, handful of Bonaparte's gulls & black-vented shearwaters way out toward horizon, a few royal & Forster's terns heading toward large tern feeding flock well to north near Black's. Nice reward of one Cassin's auklet blitzing by over the surf relatively close to shore (or as much as flying butterballs can blitz...).
The Brandt's cormorants are well along in nest building on the cliffs. I was surprised to see eggs in at least one and likely two nests - the SD Co Bird Atlas and Birds of North America both list nest-building as early as December, but no confirmed egg dates until February. I'll forward photos to SDNHM & Pt Blue.
South of Children's Pool & SW of the S intersection of Coast Blvd & S Coast Blvd, 3 black oystercatchers were very obligingly foraging on the rocks at 8:40 am.
R. Patton
San Diego, CA

Join us on Facebook!