Date: 1/10/18 7:34 am
From: L Markoff <canyoneagle...>
Subject: [obol] Re: "Yellow-shafted Flickers" in Oregon -- a plea for closer observation
When we moved here during the summer of 2013 I noticed that a pair of Flickers nesting here produced two male fledglings with red chevrons and red malar stripes, which indicates they were intergrades. The father bird did not show a red chevron, so I assumed that the mother bird was an intergrade. Photos of one of the intergrade fledglings are here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/5r6vq6

This past summer there were at least two pairs of Flickers nesting nearby. The male of one of the pairs was an intergrade, showing a red chevron and a red malar stripe. I wondered if he might be one of the intergrade fledglings from 2013 grown up. Whether that is true or not, he was definitely an intergrade. Videos of him are here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/S8LQyZ

Lori Markoff

Eugene (South Hills)