Date: 1/9/18 9:19 pm
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Glaucous, Iceland, 7 Bonaparte's Gulls - Imperial Reservoir (Pecos Co.)
Dear Texbirds,
Mark and Dennis are correct. The reservoir park is closed and has been for
years. The former manager, who lives on site, relinquished his duties years
ago and no one was hired to fill his role. I tried calling Pecos County and
Imperial water districts today to seek additional information but was
unsuccessful in reaching anyone. However, as disappointing as the lack of
access may be to us birders, there is a silver lining. As a result of the
park being closed to the public, this desert oasis has been reclaimed by
the land and has become a true bird and wildlife sanctuary. Aside from a
few trespassing or permitted beach-goers in the summer the area is largely
free of human activity and the resulting disturbance that normally follows.
Not a bad thing. Although, given the remoteness of the location, I doubt it
was ever overrun by people.

I prefer not to bother Chuck or the other folks who live on-site, so I
choose to bird from the high vantage points on the perimeter during most of
my visits. If I do venture in, I always try to seek permission when
possible. I would strongly discourage knocking on anyone's doors or
otherwise going out of your way to seek permission just to scan the
reservoir from inside of the fence or gate. They are generally OKAY with
it. But please do not push the envelope by hiking around the lake or
driving in on the beach. The main issue here is liability.

Our goal is to try and be as respectful, courteous and appreciative as
possible in order to build good rapport with the Pecos County WCID and the
land managers. As Brent informed us, there was an official CBC for the
reservoir and environs in the distant past, which is really cool, and
something that I'd be interested in taking on.

Good birding!
Justin Bosler
currently in Big Lake, TX

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 4:37 PM, Dennis Shepler <dawgler...> wrote:

> The gate to the lake was open when Bob Friedrichs and I were there last
> month and we drove in. Saw vehicles (trucks and motorcycles) parked at the
> first house.Talked to a fellow named Chuck who lives on the property and
> obtained permission to bird the lake. A very nice fellow.
> Not sure if Chuck had the authority to let us bird the area but we took him
> at his word. He mentioned that another fellow lived a bit farther along
> the shoreline and that the gate to his property was closed. We drove to
> that point and then Bob walked along the shoreline to the backside of the
> lake for looks at the gulls. I stayed at the car and scanned the middle of
> the lake.
> I hope that any birders visiting the lake will heed signs, be courteous,
> and immediately ask permission, if someone is around, before proceeding.
> Maybe Mark will be able to obtain more info from the county as to possible
> continued access to the property.
> Dennis
> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:55 AM, Mark Lockwood <mwlockwood402...>
> wrote:
>
> > The biggest reason that Imperial Reservoir is not know to most people is
> > that it is not open to the public anymore. Observers are relegated to
> > birding from the road right-of-way or trespassing. The lake is owned by
> > Pecos County and formerly allowed access with an entrance fee. To my
> > knowledge that has not been the case in over a decade. When there were
> > county employees living out there, they would ask people to leave if you
> > entered the property. I don't know what the Pecos County Water
> Improvement
> > District thinks about visitors now.
> > Mark Lockwood
> > Alpine, Texas
> >

> > Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> > http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> >
> > Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> permission
> > from the List Owner
> >

> --
> W. Dennis Shepler