Date: 1/9/18 6:58 pm
From: Jim Forde <jimforde...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Barrow's Goldeneye (Ill.), etc. at the Quad Cities Area
It was a better day than I expected at the Quad Cities. Iced sections of the river provided good binocular viewing of gulls,
even at midday, and waterfowl numbers were respectable above the I-74 bridge and Pool 14.

Pool 14, above the dam, yielded a distant BARROW'S GOLDENEYE and 2 first winter LONG-TAILED DUCKS (Ill.). I spent some time
trying to relocate the Barrow's after my initial scoping and succeeded 3 or 4 times but it wasn't that easy. The goldeneyes are
quick in their movements and the distance was long. A previous Barrow's had remained on Pool 14 for some time but did wander.

Also on Pool 14 (Iowa) were 7 TUNDRA SWANS (Smith's Island) and 4 Am. Black Ducks (Canal Shore Dr.).

Butterworth Parkway (Moline)was the top gull spot. Notables resting on shore ice at times included:

2 Kumlien's Gulls (adult,1W)(adult, 1W)
4 Adult Thayer's Gulls
2 Adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls (both also seen in Iowa above L&D 15)
1 Adult Glaucous Gull (also seen at Bettendorf)

Jim Forde
Cedar Rapids