Date: 1/9/18 5:33 pm
From: Leon Bright <urraca2...>
Subject: [cobirds] Pueblo's White-winged Crossbill
COBirders-- Thanks to everyone who expressed their astonishment at the
backyard photo I posted this morning. When I first saw it I thought I was
dreaming after the excitement over the weekend at Mountain View Cemetery.
To answer those who asked, the bird flew off within a minute of my taking
the last photo, before 8:00. I live less than a half-mile from the cemetery
but there are no large spruce trees with cones in my neighborhood. I
believe the bird I saw and photographed Sunday is the same one I saw today,
due to the lack of any news of other sightings (so far). Today I haven't
been able to be home between 10:00 and 6:00 so I don't know if it returned
or not.

The odds that a solitary crossbill would appear in Pueblo and then in my
back yard are truly astronomical in the negative. I certainly will check
again in the morning in spite of the odds!

Leon Bright

Pueblo