Date: 1/9/18 4:55 pm
Subject: Carolina Jessamine Re: hummingbird mortality
In addition to points already mentioned, I would point out that Carolina
Jessamine blooms here in coastal SC for most of the winter and hummingbirds
use it! It is one of the best things to plant for winter hummingbird hosts.

The flowers are very cold-hearty and don't open on colder days, waiting
things out. I am not sure what the case will be after such a bad and
prolonged freeze as this - but in most years Jessamine in good sunny places
blooms November or December through February in Charleston.

Many is the hummingbird I have seen in December and January with yellow
pollen foreheads from feeding at jessamine flowers.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!