Date: 1/9/18 4:56 pm
From: Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Mild Infusion Of Gull Abundance & Diversity With Roe Deposition @ Blackie's Pasture, Tiburon, Marin Co.
Today, based on a CDFW email report of herring presence near Schoonmaker Point, Sausalito, I visited at low tide the nearby
mudflat next to Blackie’s Pasture, Tiburon, Marin Co.

Among 75+ gulls, I noticed:

- 1 adult HERRING and one first-cycle HERRING

- all age classes of MEW, CA, & RING-BILLED

- 2 adult WESTERN and 2 first-cycle WESTERN

Interesting:

…..1) To see four BLACK OYSTERCATCHER foraging with the gulls….after I first heard the BLACK OYSTERCATCHER
individuals….Perhaps the roe egg abundance attracted them to the mudflat with the gulls, given I typically more often see
BLACK OYSTERCATCHER(s) amid rocky shorelines.

….2) To notice all of the gulls return to feed in the same area after getting spooked by a bicyclist who came close to the group
to shoot a photo….with the abundance of roe eggs likely a “magnet” that again attracted the gulls and maintained their attention
after the bicyclist left.

Regards,

Daniel Edelstein
Novato, CA

& 469 Isle View Road, Ellison Bay, WI 54210

415-382-1827 (O) 415-246-5404 (iPhone)

Join us on Facebook!