Date: 1/9/18 4:36 pm
From: 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Storm really shook things up!! Geese in Half Moon Bay etc.
Hello Birders

I knew that the storm would bring in some gulls, but was not prepared
for what I saw this morning. Thousands of gulls on the coast, and big
numbers of Common Murres all over the place. The murres are thick in the
bay, close to shore all the way south to Redondo Beach Road, and north to
the Harbor at least. The murres and many of the gulls were feeding on some
bait fish, as there were feeding frenzies happening, some with hundreds of
gulls. The weather seems to have concentrated the food. Most of the gulls
were streaming north, but there were thousands in the harbor. No verified
rarities, but many birds were a bit too far for the scope. More eyes will
find something, if the birds remain. True to the post storm pattern, numbers
of Herring Gull are way up, we have had an influx of Heermann's, and
California Gull which is not usually abundant in the harbor was abundant
there today.

In the wet field by the Half Moon Bay Fire Station there was an awesome
mix of geese. 1 Snow, 4 Ross's (2 juv, 2 ads), 40+ Cackling, and many Canada
Goose. They were not up close, but through the scope the Cackling appeared
to be Aleutian (a subspecies), and for some reason 4 of them which stood
apart from the group looked larger. I was a tad confused by those, and would
love to see them closer and in direct comparison with the Aleutian Cackling
Geese.

Good birding

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo