Date: 1/9/18 3:32 pm
Subject: Re: hummingbird mortality
There's this thing called natural selection. It seems likely that numbers of overwintering hummingbirds have been on the increase because it is proving to contribute to the fitness of the birds, giving them an advantage.

Hill, Sargent and Sargent took a scholarly look at the change in winter distribution of rufous hummingbirds about 20 years ago: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sora.unm.edu_node_25903&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=Vig3voFbQAfo-ILlBJSFKq1LvuLSaps9y45uDm6jFuA&s=FHl9G19aTqCIFrjEHwaJC-xEjQIQSV8yFvVNJfspwSs&e=

Kent Fiala

On 1/9/2018 5:23 PM, "J. Merrill Lynch" (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
> Reading these accounts leads me to say—reluctantly since I may touch a raw nerve with some folks —but has anyone considered whether it is really a good idea to leave hummingbird feeders up all winter?

Join us on Facebook!