Date: 1/9/18 3:26 pm
Subject: Eared Grebe at Cape Hatteras
I saw an Eared Grebe this afternoon at Cape Point. It was just out past the surf on the north beach near the tip of the point. There are also a few dozen Horned Grebes on the ocean here, along with a few hundred Red-throated Loons. There were a couple of thousand gannets feeding a little farther out. There were also a few hundred Bonaparte’s Gulls a little bit inshore of the gannets. The Boneys were also here yesterday. Needless to say I checked them carefully for Little Gulls, but no luck. There have also been several Surf Scoters here on the north side the last couple of days in this area, along with a White-winged Scoter and a couple of female Long-tailed Ducks. I did not see any Black Scoters today and that is what you mostly see here. There was also a White-winged Scoter on the “Salt Pond.” Ducks have thinned out a bit compared to past days. There are still dozens of pipits in the NPS campground, but they are jumpy. In contrast to last month, large gulls are presently scarce on the point.

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC

Join us on Facebook!