Date: 1/9/18 3:29 pm
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] unusual avian sights
Hi all,

Does an Orange-crowned Warbler REALLY have an orange crown? In 50 years of
birding, Lucy and I have seen the orange exposed very few times, always
after a rain when the bird was wet. Today, "our" yard's

wintering OCWA found normally at the suet feeder decided to bathe in our
small pond. With its head wet with spiked feathers, the orange crown was
fully exposed! But that's not the most unusual thing I've seen lately.

During the intense cold spell of a few days ago I walked to the point and
observed a Phoebe fly out of a Bayberry and pick something off the beach
near the water's edge. It flew back to a perch and began to hit whatever it
had against a twig. Upon close inspection, I was surprised to see it was a
minnow! Now that's adaptability! No wonder birds have been around for so
long!

Bob Duncan

Gulf Breeze in the w. Panhandle

Join us on Facebook!