Date: 1/9/18 2:37 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Ankeny NWR Scouting Trip Report
*SAS Ankeny NWR Scouting Trip Report*

Hello all -

Barbara, Fred and Tim scouted Ankeny NWR in preparation for our Salem
Audubon birding field trip on *Sunday, January 14th at 8:00 a.m.* The
three of them covered multiple locations the refuge. There was some light
rain with temperatures ranging from 41 degrees to 45 degrees. They
observed (seen or heard) 47 species.

Most notable identifications:

· There were seven species of ducks including *Mallard*, *Green-winged
Teal*, *Northern Shoveler, American Wigeon, Northern Pintail, Bufflehead
and Ring-necked Duck*;

· As usual there were a lot of geese including a *Cackling Goose* with a
yellow collar and several *Dusky Canada Geese* with red collars;

· There were five *Bald Eagles *and seven *Red-tailed Hawks* along with
a few other raptors;

· Four species of woodpeckers were observed including *Red-breasted
Sapsucker*, *Downy Woodpecker*, *Northern Flicker* and of course the
infamous *Acorn Woodpecker*;

· Some of the shorebirds observed included *Greater Yellowlegs*,
*Killdeer* and *Wilson’s Snipe* as well as *Dunlin*.

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS field trip will be
at *Ankeny NWR* on *Sunday, January 14th at 8:00 a.m.* Meet at the
Overlook off of Ankeny Hill Road. Our next SAS Shorts bird walk will
be at *Cascades
Gateway Park* on *Tuesday, January 23rd at 9:00 a.m.* Meet in the parking
lot.

*Note:* We have a *Raptors ID workshop* coming up on *February 3rd at
10:00 AM.* It will be held at the ODFW, 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr SE in
Salem. The cost for the workshop is *only $10*.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Checklist Summary for January 7, 2018*

Number of Species: 47

2000 Cackling Goose -- 1 yellow collar
10 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima)
50 Canada Goose (occidentalis/fulva) -- 3 red collars
2650 Cackling/Canada Goose
50 Northern Shoveler
45 American Wigeon
110 Mallard