Date: 1/9/18 2:07 pm
From: Tom <annntom...>
Subject: Re: [IN-BIRD-L] swans in Mooresville
OK so I am answering myself.  I observed the swans mentioned in the

This afternoon about 3 I was splitting wood and heard the woosh of the
wings of a large bird and looked up in time to see six swans flying by
then circling near the dam and landing in the middle of the frozen
lake.  I wasn't going to let another swan observation go without ID.
They were too far away for binos or our small scope whose tripod I had
broken a couple of days before.  I jumped in the car and drove to the
closest point with a better observation.  I got behind the school bus
but the birds were still in the middle drinking from the puddles in the
ice when I got to my observation point.  Now they were back lit and 5
were observed to have orange bills.  The sixth was not seen well enough
but assumed to be a Mute Swan as well.

There is still only one hole in the ice and I will try to get back over
there tomorrow to see if there has been any turn over before the warm
weather opens the lake more.

Tom Hougham

on Lamb Lake in SW Johnson Co