Date: 1/9/18 1:51 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: "Yellow-shafted Flickers" in Oregon -- a plea for closer observation
Great points Jay and Craig, and an intriguing topic.

I've been thinking a bit about this subject since reading this article:
http://ebird.org/content/nw/news/northern-flicker-red-
shafted-yellow-shafted-intergrades-which-do-you-have/

After checking the range map on eBird for accepted "yellow-shafted" records
in Oregon, I noticed that an alarming percentage of the accepted records
(with photos) appeared to actually be intergrades. The majority of the
records did not have a photo attached. That being said, I was mainly
looking at records in western/northwestern Oregon, and did not spend more
than 5-10 minutes browsing.

I feel finding a pure "yellow-shafted" Northern Flicker in Oregon is quite
rare, and I agree that continued scrutiny needs to be paid in identifying
these birds in the field. The field marks that Jay outlined should all be
accounted for in my opinion as well, for a bird to be considered wholly
"yellow-shafted".

Now I'm waiting for someone to bring up the topic of Dark-eyed Juncos
again. :-)

Cheers and good birding,
-Nick Mrvelj