Date: 1/9/18 1:48 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Getting Closer To A Pileated Woodpecker In The Palos Area Tuesday 1-9-18
Hello Bird People,

I've been doing a lot of bird feeder watching lately & today I started
at the Little Red School House where I had good numbers of birds on
the 31st of Dec. I just saw a post from Linda R from there on Sunday &
while I did not see her Redpoll(s) today I did get to see & hear one
Pine Siskin as a replacement. I had fewer Purple Finches (3-F) & no
Fox Sparrow but otherwise I saw similar birds to what she saw. For
part of my time at the feeder area I was joined by birders Ken & Gary
who had seen the male Purple Finch earlier that I missed & later Ken
picked out what proved to be an adult Cooper's Hawk that landed in a
tree. Here's our feeder bird list for today:

Little Red School House Feeders (8:30-9:30 a.m.)

Cooper's Hawk (1-AD)
Mourning Dove (only 1 today)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (2)
Downy Woodpecker (1-M & 1-F)
Blue Jay (3-4)
Chickadee (2-3)
TUFTED TITMOUSE (1 or 2)
W.B. Nuthatch (2)
Starling (4)
Cardinal (2-M & 1-F)
Tree Sparrow (8-10)
WHITE THROATED SPARROW (1)
Dark Eyed Junco (10-12)
PURPLE FINCH (3-F plus Ken & Gary saw 1 male)
PINE SISKIN (1)
Goldfinch (~20)
House Sparrow (30 or more, too many)

Swallow Cliff F.P. (9:45-11 a.m.)

Left Ken & Gary who kept looking for the Siskin & I went to Swallow
Cliff to see if any Crossbills remained (found none) & of course tried
again for a Pileated Woodpecker but even though it was now 2018 my
2017 luck continued with none found. Lots of Red Bellied Woodpeckers,
Blue Jays & W.B. Nuthatches though plus 1 calling Red Breasted
Nuthatch.

Repeat Of The Old Country Rd, Spears Woods & Cranberry Slough Loop
Trail (11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.)

Fortified by a gourmet lunch at Taco Bell in Hickory Hills I again
attempted this fairly long loop trail. No Coyotes joining me on the
trail today & none calling but this walk was later in the day than on
the 31st. Saw high numbers of Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Blue Jays &
W.B. Nuthatches just like at Swallow Cliff plus 1 adult Red Tailed
Hawk & 1 Chickadee. Positive highlight was again one adult & 1 young
RED HEADED WOODPECKER although not at the same place as last time.

But the day's excitement centered around a loudly calling PILEATED
WOODPECKER off the yellow trail south of Spears Woods & north of 95th
St. Spent the next 40 min trying to actually see the big guy (or gal)
but although I heard it once again farther south I never did get to
see it.
However, this was progress for me so I'll try again in the next week
or 2. I don't give up easily although sometimes it would be smarter if
I did.

Bird-Of-The-Day will be the Tufted Titmouse & Runners-Up to the Siskin
& the 2 Red Headed Woodpeckers, a reversal of my awards last time.
Every bird gets a turn!

License Plates Of the Day to one from South Carolina & one from
Oklahoma both seen on the
Tri-State but moving in different directions at different times of the day.

Al Stokie
In the Palos area of Cook County today still not seeing a Pileated
Woodpecker but getting closer

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional